Bath VA Medical Center
Request Your Medical Records
The Release of Information (ROI) section is where all record requests are processed in accordance with federal regulations, policies and procedures.
Services provided include:
- Copy and release medical records to those with a legal right to the information.
- Request copies of medical records from outside agencies or other VA Medical Centers.
- Request medical records be transferred to other VA Medical Centers.
- Process requests for medical records by the Regional Office.
One complete set of records will be provided to the patient or his/her representative at no charge. For any additional copies, a charge of $0.15 per page will be charged after the first 100 pages. If the request is through a FOIA request (Freedom of Information Act) a charge of $0.15 per page will be charged after the first 100 pages copied. An additional fee will be charged for retrieving the information.
When a consent is required to release medical information, the following information is required in writing:
- Name of patient and identifier (i.e. date of birth or SSN)
- Name and address of the individual that the information is to be sent to.
- Type of information to be released.
- Dates of treatment involved.
- The reason for the request.
- Date and signature of patient or other person authorized to consent to release.
There may be special circumstances that might require a special consent form. In this case, any request for medical records that include drug, alcohol, HIV, or sickle cell anemia will require express written consent from the patient.
There may be some occasions where information (including names and addresses) from the medical record may be released to certain federal or state agencies. Those reasons might include:
- Conducting research
- Conducting audits
- Conducting evaluations
Release of photographs and medical information to the news media will only be done by consent of the patient or by a court-appointed legal guardian.
Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
Any person, partnerships, corporations, associations and foreign, state or local governments may make a FOIA request.
Before releasing records, records will be reviewed to determine if any information may be withheld under one of the nine FOIA exemptions.
A request for access to official records under FOIA must be in writing and signed by the requestor.
VA is not required to create a record in response to a FOIA request. VA also has no legal obligation to write, revise, reassemble, catalog, or to obtain or produce new documents for a requestor.